Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Beyond Method #10

I use Skype on a regular basis to keep in touch with distant family.  It came built into my laptop and works great!  Sometimes the picture is choppy or may freeze altogether if the person I am skyping with does not have a fast enough connection.  I also use Facetime on my Ipod which is an easier way to access the same type of program.

Though our library does not use any of this software on a regular basis, I could easily see the benefits.  Since we are part of a library consortium that covers all of the Texas panhandle, it would be great if the directors did not have to travel to have meeting, or if staff could go through training online instead of taking time to meet in one location. 

I am sure there are patrons who would like to use these types of programs on our pblic computers.  Unfortunately, this would only be possible if they could use it without talking.  We have a problem with people using the phone in the library and video conferencing is much the same thing.  Since we are a small library, we do not have private places for patrons to do such things.

No comments:

Post a Comment